Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Battery "disconnect" and a couple gage issues - '5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery "disconnect" and a couple gage issues - '5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMorreale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Battery "disconnect" and a couple gage issues - '5 Reply with quote

I won't be driving my M38 (24v, solid state regulator) for a couple weeks and want to disconnect the batteries or install a disconnect. From what I've searched on this site, all I need to do is disconnect the ground on the engine compartment battery and the circuit is dead thus slowing battery drain - correct?

A couple gauge issues - all new gauges, wiring, harnesses, regulator, batteries, rebuilt genny and starter, etc...

I don't think my temp gauge works (it's new with all new wiring, sending unit, etc) as it won't go up over 80 degrees. I know the engine is getting warmer than that when I run down the road. I'm going to try to test the gauge out of the vehicle, but could this be a working gauge and a bad thermostat?

Oil pressure gauge doesn't work either. Again, new gauge, wiring and sending unit. PO had a mechanical unit installed that seemed to work so I don't think the problem is in the engine passage to the sending unit, but somewhere from the sending unit to the gauge. Common problem?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes disconnect the ground cable on the underhood battery. If you buy a disconnect switch put it there also.

Use the M series gage troubleshooting service bulletin at:
http://www.cj3a.info/sibling/milgauge/milgage.htm
You can test the temp sender by removing it and suspending it in a pan of water. Then connect the hot wire and connect a jumper from the sender housing to the block. Put a good thermometer in the water and slowly heat the water and compare the thermometer to your gage readings in the dash with the switch on.

You can also pull the oil pressure and connect it the same way electrically and use an air hose and gage to apply pressure.

In either case make sure the sender is the correct part number sender to use with the part number gage you have. Especially the oil presure which came with a 0-60 PSI gage and sender and a different 0 to 100 PSI gage and matching sender.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
TonyMorreale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Wes - will try /check these things.
cknight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you wrote the correct Oil gauage was 0-60. My gauage is 0-60. TM 9-8012 shows on page 221, 0-120. My book is a 01/56 issue. What would be correct?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I didn't say either was correct. I only mentioned that both exist. The 0-120 is correct for the M38. The 0-60 was retrofitted in the field to most M38's. Until sometime late 51 or early 52 the M38 used an oil pressure gage 0-120 with a resistor hanging on the back G742 7728853 then thru the rest of production the same gage without a resistor hanging on the back with sender 7728856. The M38A1 introduced the 60 PSI gage 7954230 and sender 7954231 between 1955 and 1959 and this was retrofitted to most M38's after that.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeeps4Brains

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Wes, are you saying that theM38A1s before 1955 came with the 0-120 oil pressure gauge?

My 53 came to me with a non military gauge where the oil pressure line screws into a fitting on the back of the gauge. (I plan on testing this one and then using it when I test run the rebuilt engine.)

I have been looking for a 0-60 gauge but if what you say is right I need to start looking for the 0-120.

But then again I could just say it was a retro fit. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: