Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Sys not charging
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sys not charging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cknight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Sys not charging Reply with quote

Background information: 24V M38, Delco-Remy regulator, just getting this jeep back up and running after a to long rebuild. Early on I took the Generartor to have is looked at for not real reason, you no, just because. The man took it apart, said it had gotten hot in its life and had to resolder something. Said I might let him check it out when I got her back up and running.

She is back up and running, it is showing no voltage on the amp meter. I bought a new one and no change. I checked voltage with it running, only shows battery voltage. I disconected a battery while it was running, it died.

I removed the cable from the generator, using my volt meter I tested each terminal on the generator ( 3), one shows 0v the other two show 1.9v from the terminal to the ground on the #1 battery and than the two terminals that showed 1.9v to the one that showed 0v. They still showed 1.9v

Sounds to me like the gen. is shot, what do you think and is there any other thing I chould be checking
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you polarized the generator yet?

Here's the basics in general

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=18

Here's the M38 and M38A1 specific data:
Polarizing 24 Volt Generator / Regulator

On 24 volt M38 / M38A1 / M170 / M606

Disconnect the Gen-Reg Cable at the generator end, note where the alignment lug is (where the slot on the plug of the cable lines up) on the top of the elbow on the Generator. There are three terminals in there, you want the "B" terminal, it is the lower left when looking in to the elbow, and is actually marked. Take a Jumper from the "B" terminal on the generator and just only one time just quickly brush the hot terminal on the starter.

Pinout for the Voltage Regulator

3 Pin Plug Receptacle (Male Pins)

A Generator Armature

B Generator Field

C Generator Armature

4 Pin Plug Receptacle (Female Pins)

A Wire # 4 To Battery

B Wire # 8 to ammeter left side (positive)

C Wire # 10 to CB’s early and Ign Sw late.

D Wire # 9 to ammeter right side (negative)

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
maeserik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple job, disconect the cable on the generator, and gave a few + 24 volt pulses on the field terminal. The groundcable - need to be conect with the frame.
Reconnect the cable and do a test.
I had the same problem, the generator needs some natural magnetisme to start up. It disapears after a long time not in use.

1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
cknight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems rather simple. All I need to do in run one end of a wire into the "B" terminal of the generator and touch the other to the hot post on the starter or the "+" post on the 2nd battery for just a second.

Will 12 or 14 ga wire work and should I expect anything noticeable to happen, spark, ect?
cknight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it, not much happened. I used a short wire with a douglas connector on one end. Stuck the connector in the "B" terminal of the generator. Touched the other end of the wire to the power side of the starter for about 1 sec. when I removed it there was a slight spark. I started the jeep, A & C have 1.5V, B has 0.
cknight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I jumped the gun. I decided to drive it around the block, so I reconnedted the cable to the regulator. Started it up and took off. I looked down and noticed the amp meter was showing a discharge. i checked the volatge on the batteries and they showed almost 28v. I guess my wires on the meter are backwards. Thanks for all the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: