Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Protecting the electrical system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting the electrical system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Protecting the electrical system Reply with quote

After cooking my voltage regulator and also discovering the rubber insulator in the amp meter or lack there of, allowed my gage to get fried I have a concern about the protection of my electrical system.

Seems this jeep has no fuse protection on any of its electrical components and was wondering what most people do.

I know at one time it had circuit breakers on the back of the instrument cluster because there are mounts for them, currently it is wired as shown on page 222 of the 1956 version of TM 9-8012. When reading in this manual, cable #27 is connected to a circuit breaker. This breaker should protect all gages and related wiring. I have no protection here. Can they be found, if so where and where do they mount?

When I get my voltage regulator back in place ( I hope to go back mechinical one, one day) what protects it if a short was to develop in the wiring to the gage or the switch?

If I go with a solid state regulator, what protects it from the above issue?

What protects the lighting system from a short?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The circuit breakers were dropped to increase combat reliability. The Army would rather write off ten burnt out jeep electrical systems then have 50 jeeps down for nuisance circuit breaker tripping. The later light switch is internally protected.

The best protection for any of our electrical systems is accomplished several ways:

1-Use only quality parts
2-Use the darn manual
3-Don't exceed your individual level of competence.
4-Always disconnect the batteries when removing , replacing or adjusting circuits and etc.
5-Don't blindly accept bullshit advice from folks who don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. Determine the competence level of your advisor before taking his advice.

I can't over emphasize the importance of recognizing one's limits and not exceeding them. To stumble blindly can cost dearly in parts, labor and personal safety which had you hired a pro would have been a lot cheaper. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cknight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering what protected the system. It used to have protection, the 1956 version on the manual refers to protection. Was it necessary to call me an incompetent arse stumbling blindly throught this process.

I guess you were born with all your information!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't necesary. I didn't call you anything.

I referred to anyone who may stumble blindly.

The competence level I left for each individual to determine for themselves.

Your para-phrasing created what you just posted not my comments.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cknight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I took it wrong, than I apologize.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apology necessary. Just try to learn form what is shared here and heed good advice.

No, I wasn't born with my current level of competence. I worked hard and studied hard for it from about 1955 when I started racing Chevies through today. I asked a lot of questions and hung around the most successful racers because they obviously had it right. And even today I still peruse the book before I swing the wrench. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: