Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Hand throttle on M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand throttle on M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianafa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Hand throttle on M38 Reply with quote

Im trying to install the hand throttle on the M38. Looks like the YS637 carb i have has the hole for the hand throttle cable, but no hole for a wire stop screw. Also looks like its pressed in. What holds the cable on this. Also from the manual it looks like the hand throttle outer cable is held down by the same clamp that holds the choke cable but i dont see that on the carb.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10226118996656247&set=pb.1077851328.-2207520000&type=3

Last edited by indianafa on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello IndianaFA,

I took the liberty of moving your post to our technical questions board where it belongs. The projects board is for folks to post ongoing posts about the progress of their projects.

Your facebook photo link did not work.

Our member's photo albums aqre often quite helpful with problems and issues. Especially our Admin folk's albums. Like myself and Ryan Miller's albums.

In my sub-album for the m38 fuel system you will see your answers.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
indianafa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the wire guide on my carb arm doesnt have the screw hole for the wire stop. i have 3 of the ys637 carbs and they are all the same in this respect. i could do what is posted in Clints Bochan facebook picture from M38 group here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4958665187583940&set=p.4958665187583940&type=3

i think you can click the link to see the picture. This must be correct for our version of the carb? if so, what return the carb arm to the closed position? the spring?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized the arm is suppose to be left free to follow the throttle linkage arm no matter where the fast idle throttle cable is set. That means Clint's photo is correct. Apparently the carb linkage I photographed had the incorrect brass wire guid in the hand throttle wire guide hol on the bellcrank. So let your hand throttle wire slide thru the wire guide and install a simple hardware store cable wire stop. This then allows you to pull the fast idle throttle cable out to accelerate the carb but leabes the foot throttle linkage free to increase speed.

When you view the larger view of this parts manual illustration you can easily see that the wire stop, item X, is not fastened to the throttle bellcrank.

So all you need is a hardware store wire stop. Try this link: https://kairousinc.com/product/vw-barrel-nut-for-throttle-cable-311129777/?utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=kairousinc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=2589&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOmsBhCnARIsAGPa5ybDwJHnK3DwR3nHSURpuj4usUz7Mf0cZEpO2HNxpKs7vCjvuJxTk8MaAtXuEALw_wcB

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
indianafa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful. that makes sense because i have three of those carbs all with that brass piece not drilled. Thats what i'll do. alot easier since i dont have any taps and drill would have slipped into my palm and had me bleeding.
Thanks for you help.
Steve
indianafa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm putting the hand throttle on because its almost impossible to start. following the manual says 3/4 inch out on the hand throttle when starting. i tried this a few times using the pedal part way down instead and it does seem tons better starting but takes 2 feet.
indianafa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: easy starting now Reply with quote

using the hand throttle like the manual says makes all the difference in the world starting this thing. unbelievable. starts when it sees me walk in the garage. almost dont even have to hit the foot start. 1 second on the pedal instead of 2 minutes. Thanks for your help Wes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: