Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38AI Viking winch wiring plan
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38AI Viking winch wiring plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: M38AI Viking winch wiring plan Reply with quote

I have an Viking winch that came with my M38A1, but I have no idea how to wire it up, and do not want the fireworks show that results from wrong connections on the 24volt system.
There are three posts on the winch motor - do you know which is which, and where/how do I connect the hand control to the winch/power source. I could guess, but that's not a good idea.
A wiring diagram would be great, but any accurate advice is appreciated.
Yours,
Electronically-challenged in Ohio.[/list][/b]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Is there a manufacturer's name on the winch's data plate. I can not find any references to any Viking brand jeep electric winches. There are plenty of Viking Equipment winch lines and marine winches and large seagoing vessel winches.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DavidL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winch electric motor has a small data plate with MBJ 4301 stamped on it. No name. The winch itself has Viking cast into the housing. It is 24v.
SteveJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Viking 8000 lb PTO driven winch. on one of my jeeps when I got it, The end caps were cast Viking and California. I sheared the main winch key and found on dissasembly that it is almost an exact knockoff of the ramsey 200 series winches just made cheaper componant wise on the inside. It worked fine but I was never able to track down a manufacturer. I think they must be out of business. I never realized they made electric driven ones . Smile
1991 Reynolds Boughton RB44 GS TUH
1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they are the cheap generics built under a different brand name than the name of the actual manufacturer by the request of the distributor. This is done often where a manufacturer produces one item with their name on it and then a similar item under contract to an outside distributor with their name on it.

In the case of this winch it may have been built for a distributor named Viking and if you google Viking winch the main hits are Viking Offroad Supply which carries a lot of stuff under it's brand name but do not appear to be a manufacturing facility.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DavidL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
Thank you for youre input so far. I have photos ready, but am not sure how to attach them to this response - so have sent them to you separately.
Your electrical smarts are appreciated - thank you!
Best,
David/Users/davidlewis/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2007/09/10/P1010001_1.JPG[img][/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,
That's a special purpose 12 volt pump motor. It is reversable. The frame of the motor is grounded to the jeep. Relays or a heavy service manual switch set are needed so you can select rotation for cable out and cable in. You get CW rotation at the drive end by supplying battery voltage to the F-1 termianl and connecting the F-2 terminal to the Arm terminal.. For Counter clockwise rotation you connect battery voltage to the F-2 terminal and connect the F-1 terminal to the Arm terminal. The 24 volt reversable motor for this application is the MCZ-4201UT.

Wes K

DavidL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Wes!!
You have provided me with all the answers I needed - I am very grateful.
Best, David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: