Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Needed: Usable flywheel,clutch disk, pressure plate M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Needed: Usable flywheel,clutch disk, pressure plate M38

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Needed: Usable flywheel,clutch disk, pressure plate M38 Reply with quote

Mice took mine out, Need flywheel, driven disk, pressure plate for M38 I can be reached at aggearhead@yahoo.com Thanks Bucky
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say Bucky,
Do you need a 124 or 129 tooth ring gear on your flywheel? Do you have an 8 or 9 inch clutch. Most of the big vendors sell all those parts new.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, as far as teeth and size I dont have a clue without pulling it appart. The mice basically destroyed it. I pulled it apart and used it because it was the olny one available. Now after 3800 miles it slips on hard pulls( hills etc.). Bucky
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to pull it apart. But you do need to decide what you need then ask for it. I would not put a used clutch of unknown condition in a jeep. TOO MUCH WORK to set myself up for another clutch change in the very near future. Slipping clutches are caused by several things and some of those are not a bad disc.

The safe way to deal with clutch problems is get into the book. make sure it is adjusted correctly. If it is and still slips pull it apart and inspect all parts closely. A new clutch kit is always the best way to go which includes the clutch disc, the pressure plate, the pilot bushing and the relaease bearing.
You will need to inspect the flyheel for the condition of the ring teeth and runout of the disc riding surface. If needed it can be machined flat again.

The illustration below will make it easy to ID which flywheel ring gear you have.

Detailed clutch data is in the TM 9-1804A M38 Engine & Clutch

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you just shattered a myth for me. I was told elseware that the parts were the same. I swapped a running CJ2A engine and transmission into my M38 and converted it to 12 volt.I use it for just about everything around the farm here, so downtime is kept to a day or less and needs to work in bad weather as well. I purchased it as a parade/restoration jeep and service became paramount instead. My local parts store claimed they couldnt get one till I found a parts man who was willing to look. It should arrive next friday, I figured about a hundred dollars for good used, I bought new for 109.89, Now the big question, I ordered driven disk and pressure plate,the parts store says there all the same 2A/M38 etc.... is this a myth also? Thanks Bucky
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you allready answered my last question with 8-9 inch clutch size. Well if its wrong Ill send it back. Thanks for the info,I hope ive got it covered. Bucky
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always suggest strongly that EVERYONE who intends to bend wrenches on a CJ break out his wallet and buy the very first important tool. The service manual. It is an absolute must to keep everyone headed down the right track and saves you a ton of money and time by keeping you from making mistakes. But keep in mind that just like you easily swapped a 2A power plant into your M38 thousands of others have made these swaps to so you must pull it apart and check before you order.

As you can see above there were 4 different pressure plates and two different discs. Print this page and give to the bubba behind the counter.

Buy this book:

Yhis book would aslo be a big help to you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: