Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carb rebuild
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Carb rebuild Reply with quote

OK, a little help required please.
I don't have the right book. So where on the web can I download a rebuild guide for the M38 YS carb?
The carb I have to rebuild is a take off from a NOS MC engine in a stillage that was put into a MB, hence the carb was removed and I got it. Essencially a new carb that has been on the shelf for may-be 40 years
Thanks,
Dave.
petesilfven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you will need to do is to replace the two diaphragms with new ones that are compatible with modern fuels. Unfortunately, you'll need to buy the whole kit to get them. Get the good kit from either Midwest or Army Jeep parts.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was not sealed in storage those 40 years you will need to completely disasemble it and clean it thoroughly. All the data you need from TM 9-1826A is on our Yahoo Group files storage pages.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mjeeps/files/M38%20YS637S%20Carb%20Service/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,

That is a good article. I am behind on converting those to downloadable files here on the new website. Confused

There is a lot of work scanning this information and assembling into a readable/ usable format.

I have been working on that particular article.

It is in the download section in a low resolution format on this website.

Go to downloads - M38 - drive train - engine - YS carberator

or click here and it should take you there: again this is a low resolution format.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/downloads/YScarb.pdf
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the effort Ryan, the different format in the storage on this site works better for downloading at this end.
Does that make sense?

From the Yarhoo site I couldn't get the docs to print properly as I kept losing the edge of the page, I haven't tried yet but it looks like this format should print much better. Also the 'Low resolution' here seems better than the resolution over at the Yarhoo site, well to me anyway.

So many thanks for the original work by tomatotruck ? and by yourself.

I have to admit I'm pretty terrified at the prospect of taking a factory assembled carb thats never been touched to bits, I'm more terrified at the prospect of putting it together.

I am really tempted to assemble the engine, put the carb on and just see if it works fine, there is a slight chance that as it came off a European MC engine it might be OK, if it isn't then I can rebuild it. On the other hand with the Dollar / Pound ratio at the moment it might be just worth buying a rebuilt unit and saving the time and heartache! At 1.74 dollars to the pound (not the real rate but the one we get in the conversion) a professionally rebuilt unit is about 5 hours wages.
Hey Ho,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS,
I've just printed it off from this site, it is a superb down load.
Thanks again,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: